Bookmark this page

History of the Racing Track

The airfield races at the military airfield in Zeltweg were the beginning of motor sport in Styria in the middle of the 19th century.

  • The first race in the region took place at the Zeltweg military airfield in 1957. It was a race for sports cars and prototypes, grand tours and motorcycles.
  • The first Formula 2 race came to Zeltweg in 1959 and the first World Championship run in 1964.
  • In 1963 the race was given the title "Grand Prix of Austria", although it was not yet a world championship race, it was nevertheless an important milestone in history - Jack Brabham won, the legendary Jochen Rind failed.
  • It was not until 1964 that the race was part of the FIA ​​World Championship for Formula 1. At this point, the route had a length of 3.2 km - 105 laps (336 km driven).
  • In 1969, the racing scene moved to the new Österreichring, which was now in Spielberg. The route initially had 5,911 km. After a fatal accident by Mark Donohue on the track in 1975, a chicane was installed and the track was extended to 5,942 km. The track was a guarantee for ever new lap records.
  • In 1987 there were two major accidents after the start and Formula 1 withdrew.
  • In the 90s, the route was completely rebuilt and modernized. Run-off zones were modernized, the route was widened and shortened to 4,319 km.
  • From 1997 to 2003 the race track became the A1 Ring and Formula 1 races were held again. In 2002, the route was changed slightly to 4,326 km due to renovations.
  • Then there was a break in the race. In early 2000, Dietrich Mateschitz bought the route.
  • The racetrack has been active again as a Red Bull Ring since 2011 and in 2014 Formula 1 also returned to Spielberg.